Tuesday, July 6, 2010

A day at the Zoo

I went back home to Miami for the long weekend. It was nice seeing everyone that I had not seen in a while. I visited my family and friends all weekend but on Sunday I went to the Zoo. I went with my best friend, Devaney and my boyfriend, Alex to celebrate July 4th. The zoo was only five dollars and that is really cheap compared to the original price. There was a special because it was July fourth. Since the price was so low, everyone wanted to go to the zoo that day so it was extremely crowded. I expected the day to be sunny and hot but instead it was overcast and raining. We got soaked from head to toe. Even though it was raining, it was still nice to see all of the animals that were there. I went into the new section of the zoo called "The Amazon" and it had a lot of cool looking birds and monkeys. There was this one monkey that howled so loud that it hurt your ears to listen. The monkey that we called the howler was picking bugs out of this other beautiful monkey with reddish brown hair. It was so cute to see because they were so very tiny. They looked like babies but that was their normal adult size.

While I was watching the two monkeys, I looked over to my left and I saw a huge banana spider making its web in the tree that was right outside of the Monkey's cage. It had to be at least half of the size of my hand. It had yellow and black long legs and there was some red in the body itself with black beady eyes. It was beautiful and terrifying at the same time. I didn't have binoculars but I was able to get really close to the spider's web because it was on a tree that was outside of a cage. I wasn't sure if that spider species can jump so I kept my distance. I watched carefully as the spider spun its web. It was almost finished spinning the web when I noticed that there was already a fly stuck unfortunately in the web waiting for its doom from the eight legged monster. I never really noticed how creepy a spider looks when it crawls. I can't imagine how scared the fly must have been to see the spider up close. It probably seemed like the spider was a giant if we were looking through the fly's eyes. It was so interesting to take the time and actually watch something so small and insignificant in my everyday life.

1 comment:

  1. Hiii Emily! sounds like you had a great time at the zoo. I have never been and reading your blog makes me want to go see all the animals. I hate spiders so much I would have kept my distance too! When I went home I got to see all my friends and family and it was so great I didn’t realize how much I missed them till I saw them again. I hope you had a great 4th of July with your boyfriend even though it rained a lot. I look forward to working with you in our group project!

    ReplyDelete